Sunday, August 30, 2009

"For in thy bed I purpose to destroy thee"

The actual rape in this poem is a remarkable study of struggles between two people and the struggle within one's own mind. Tarquin knows undoubtedly that he should NOT rape Lucrece. Yet he does it anyway, even when she pleads with him, "thyself art mighty...myself a weakling" he does not change his course of action. Why? I don't understand! Surely reason would take over? He has countless times of consideration all coming to a negative end, "I have debated even in my soul/What wrong, what shame, what sorrow I shall breed." However he mangages to assure himself, "But nothing can affection's course control." Tarquin must be sick in his head. And Lucrece puts up a very small struggle (I have already expressed my problems with this) and succumbs to the rape feeling completely defiled and dirty.While it is disturbing (as any rape should be), this particular rape is so interesting because Shakespeare paints it to make it almost a little sympathetic to Tarquin because he has this internal conflict. The bad prevails to be sure, but the fact that this internal struggle even exists is really intriguing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment